First up is my Italian Turkey & Veggie bowls. This lunch is easy, versatile and it makes enough for you and your man or little one to eat all week. I hope you enjoy!
1 lb Ground Lean Turkey (I use 97% lean)
1/2 Large Sweet Onion, Diced
2 Large Summer Squash, Cubed
3 Large Zucchini, Cubed
2 1/2 Cups Cooked Quinoa
1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries
2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1/3 Cup Low-sodium Vegetable Stock (*Optional: You can also use water)
2 1/2 Tbl. EVOO
Low Fat Feta (*Optional: You don't have to use this)
1. Heat 1/2 Tbl. EVOO over medium heat in a large skillet. Brown ground turkey and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning. Once complete, remove from skillet and cover.
2. In same skillet, heat 2 Tbl. EVOO over medium heat. Sauté Summer Squash and Zucchini and season with salt, pepper, italian seasoning and sage. I'm born and bread in Texas so the more seasoning the better, but you do you, sista! After 10 minutes, add onion, garlic, and 1/3 cup of stock and cover for 15-20 minutes.
3. Once squash is fork tender, taste for flavor. These is where I add more herbs or S&P if needed. Stir in dried cranberries and let stand for 5 minutes. This allows those little berries just a few minutes to plump up in the heat and moisture brings in so much flavor!
4. Stir turkey back into veggie mix, then assemble. You can build as you like, but I use 1/3 cup cooked quinoa, 1/2 cup veggie/turkey mix, then top with a squeeze of lemon juice and 1 tbl. feta.
1. Ingredient Prep: I try to get my groceries for the next week's menu on Friday or Saturday. Before I put the groceries away, I take 20 minutes to wash and prepare all the veggies. Sometimes this means just washing and other times, like for this dish, I will cube and dice the veggies. This is such a huge time saver on cooking day!
2. Food Storage: After you prep the ingredients and make the food, you have to have a place to put it, right? Well, these containers are my favorite. I have them in two sizes and have found them to be durable and perfect for ingredients and meals. It makes a huge difference in your attitude to cook when you can open the fridge and have everything you need right there.
I hope you enjoyed this post. Let me know your thoughts, ideas or suggestions!