A thunderstorm is rolling in, 50 degree weather is settling in and I just put on a pot of my favorite chicken tortilla soup...que happy dance.
I hope you enjoy this hump day treat!
- 1 Sweet Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 Can (15 oz) Black Beans
- 2 Cups Sweet Corn, Cooked
- 2 Oz Green Chili Peppers
- 1 Can (28 oz) Crushed Tomatoes,
- 12 oz Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 2 Cups Cooked Chicken Breast, chucked/shredded
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
- 1 Tbl. EVOO
- 1 Tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Cumin
- 1 Tsp. Dried Oregano
- Salt, Pepper
- Toppings: Avacado, Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese, Tortilla Strips
1. Bake bone-in split chicken breast in a 400 degree oven for 40 -45 minutes or until cooked through. I have a standard recipe for this kind of chicken and it works perfect for use in chicken salad, pasta, etc. Simple place chicken and a 13x9 dish, put a mixture of butter, salt, pepper and rosemary in between skin and breast, add chicken broth to dish (about 1/3 up the chicken breast) and cover with foil. Let cool for 15 minutes then tear off bone and chop/shred chicken. I like a mix of chunks of chicken and shredded chicken in my soup but feel free to cut how you prefer. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, heat EVOO to medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in corn, black beans, chicken, cilantro, and chilies. Continue to cook for 25 - 35 minutes on low-medium heat.
4. Serve soup with avocado slices, shredded cheese and tortilla strips. I also like cook up some cast iron corn bread for this!
Enjoy this sweet cozy weather snuggled on the couch with your soup!