What You'll Need...
- 1 Cooking Pumpkin (2 Cups Mashed)
- 1 Can Evaporated Milk (12 oz)
- 1 Egg, Beaten
- 3/4 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp. Ginger
- 1/2 Tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 2/3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Cup Shortening
- 1/2 Cup Cold Water
How To Make...
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove the stem, cut Pumpkin in half, scoop out all seeds, and place center down on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Roast for 45 minutes or until tender. Let cool for 30-40 minutes then scoop out pumpkin, and place in bowl. Measure out 2 cups, then place remaining amount in Ziplock bag and store in freezer. (Leave Oven On)
2. While the pumpkin is cooling, we will make the crust! To prepare the crust mix the flour and salt together. Then cut shortening into the flour mixture, and add 1 Tbl. cold water to the mixture at a time. Mix dough and repeat until dough is moist enough to hold together.
3. With lightly floured hands shape dough into a ball. On a lightly floured board roll dough out to 1/8 inch thickness. With a sharp knife, cut dough 1 1/2 inchs larger than an upside down 9 inch pie pan. Gently roll the dough around the rolling pin, and transfer it right side up on to the pie pan. Unroll, ease dough into the bottom of the pie pan.
4. In a large bowl with mixer speed on medium, beat pumpkin with evaporated milk, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla. Mix well, and then pour into the prepared crust. Bake 40 minutes or until when a knife is inserted 1 inch from the edge it comes out clean. (My oven took almost 70 minutes to cook.)
There is no Glade Plug-In that lives up to the smell that will fill your house when you cook this pie! It's a little messy, but I think very worth to go the full homepage route if you have few hours to spare.
Tell me what you think!